Monday, July 02, 2007

Patrick Frank

We Will Be Okay



We sat in the church parking lot and the minister

never showed up. We drove to a pancake house and on

the way I told a lot of jokes. Then we drove around

Eastern Connecticut looking for yard sales. When I

stood up for you at work, you said, a coldness

disappeared inside


Soon I will play basketball at twilight. You will

practice walking meditation. Whatever happens on the

job, we will be okay





Patrick Frank: I am a published poet-songwriter and essayist from Middletown, CT, USA. I have served as a counselor and advocate for the poor in New England, the South, and on the Zuni Indian reservation in New Mexico. I am now working with mental health clients in Connecticut.

I am Bipolar and have been in treatment of this disorder since 1999. I have also experienced homelessness.

I have been strongly influenced by international poetry and Eastern philosophy. I published a periodical of Eastern forms of poetry, and aesthetic philosophy, Point Judith Light, during the 1990’s.

In my work, I strive for clarity, depth, a microcosmic aspect, and a kaleidoscopic effect. I focus on the sense of mystery that is embodied in ordinary experience and reality. I would like my poetry to be accessible, while avoiding superficiality.

My creativity is stimulated by dream material, music, great cinema, physical activity, and exposure to nature. I often touch upon social justice themes, the experience of poverty and homelessness, sport, and my work with the disabled. I also explore ethical challenges that lead to personal growth.




Matthew Burkett Julie Clark Deidre Elizabeth Mario Melendez Patrick Frank




1 comment:

Area 17 said...

Hi Patrick,

It's a real pleasure to see a poem from you, I just happened to receive an email from Bath Spa University U.K. mailing list about this magazine, and here was your name, so after all those great Point Judith Light days, I just had to read your work first!

I really like that line break so it's:
the way I told a lot of jokes.

The build up in your poem reflects ordinary life incidents hand-in-hand with life struggles, from the church, to telling jokes, finding yard sales, and basketball at twilight, to walking meditation from your friend.

I like the effect of the last line break too, as it appears biblical on another level (the trials of Job) which whether intentional or not, offers that extra layer. The trials of Job type struggle needn't be limited to a religion, we all have trials of faith or optimism at some point in our life.

I like the optimistic conclusion to the poem, and all those little pleasures in life that you catalogged.